Thursday, February 11

The Green Beret and wizened spy always win

I have no idea how I have so much time to watch movies lately, but I do have the time and I have been watching them, so that's about that. Last night, Sydney and I watched "Iron Man 2," which is awesome. But tonight, I managed to sit and watch two movies that I had never seen before: "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "Rambo: First Blood."
    "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" is a very quiet and cerebral spy movie, starring Gary Oldman. I remember being vaguely intrigued by it when it came out, but never pursued it. Through the years, I never got around to it, no matter how many times I'd scrolled past it on my movie channels. But today I happened on it right as it started, in a particular moment of quiet, and I said whatever, let's watch it. I was not disappointed! It was quiet, as I said, for sure, but spy-ish and starring a bunch of other familiar faces, so I quite liked it.
    As a family, we sat on the sofa and happened on "First Blood," having just finished dinner and looking for something to put on the television. "First Blood" had started only 10 minutes prior, and I'd never seen it, so I stopped on it. I won't say we hate watched it, but it was pretty cheesy and very 80s, until the end when I almost cried because it was so unexpectedly sad and heartbreaking. It was better than I had thought it would be. The movie channel was showing "Rambo: First Blood Part II" and then "Rambo III" after it in a Rambo marathon, so of course I set the DVR to record them. I haven't seen those, either.

No comments: