Wednesday, February 10

Joining the online movement: #FREEBRITNEY

I'm spending so much time watching things lately, but really, I'm waiting for a book at the library, and there's a lot of interesting stuff on the streaming services. Tonight though, I watched the rest of the Britney documentary, "Framing Britney Spears."
    Full disclosure: I am a huge Britney fan. I have been since she first hit it big, and I've thoroughly enjoyed most everything she's done and produced since then. The personal troubles she's had have always been a source of sadness for me, as she is awesome and should always be happy.
    The documentary, as I knew it would, made me super angry. How she's been handled, manipulated, demeaned and insulted throughout her career, and how she's being controlled now, is a travesty. As far as I can tell, based on the stuff I've read which can or can not be considered accurate, she's got her wits about her, is capable of making her own decisions and choices, and is a fully functioning adult who's making plenty of money to keep those controlling her in the lifestyles in which they've become accustomed. And therein lies the rub. Even if she needed a conservatorship like 20 years ago, she certainly doesn't seem to need one now. All that seems to be true is that the conservators themselves need her to be under the conservatorship. Then they can control her.
    I thought one of the statements made by Britney's brother in an interview featured in the documentary, and I'll paraphrase, that the women in the family are strong-minded and want to do what they want to do, was particularly telling. The interviewer, in a brief moment of clarity, responded that that trait is ... constitutional. And how the brother responded to that, by hemming and hawing and hiding his head, told us everything "we" needed to know. They (her father) just want to control her. She was getting too rich, famous, independent for their taste, and that had to stop.
    Sadly, Britney's emotional, mental, psychological meltdown all those years ago played right into their hands, and she's still suffering from that period of bad decision making. It's a serious shame that she can't regain her independence and live her life for herself. But the legal challenges to the conservatorship continue, and I will continue to be a fan. #FREEBRITNEY

No comments: