Sunday, January 17

The house ... is cleansed

Today, we got our smudge on. We finally cleaned out the house of all the leftover 2020 stuff, put away the Christmas decorations, and organized a lot of the random stuff. Then it was time to light the sage and wave our smoke around. As I told you, I had the abalone shell, I covered the holes from the inside with some painters tape and then put some soil inside to tamp out the flames on the sage. I made a fan out of paper so we could wave the smoke around, and even though we had no chant or prayer to say, we got busy cleansing the home.
    Problem: The sage wasn't smoking as much as I thought it would, or like it looked like it would in all the tutorial videos I'd watched on YouTube. So Sydney walked around with the lighter so we could constantly relight the sage and make it smoke more again. That was a bit of a drag, and I wonder if maybe the sage we had was just too thick of a bundle. It seemed as though the inside never really lit properly.
    We persevered though (as we do), and got the whole place smudged. And oh my goodness, does my house smell like burning plants! I'm sure we're nose-blind to it right now, and I expect it'll hit me like bricks when I open the door tomorrow afternoon, but at this moment, I don't smell it anymore.
    I feel like next year, or maybe before summer kicks in, I'll find another sage bundle and we'll see if it works the same as this one. All in all, I highly recommend the practice, and I'm a believer.

No comments: