Wednesday, February 5

They're so ugly! Keep the lid closed!

All right, you guys, it's that time again. Time for Kimmie to add another pet peeve to the list of "Cuddly Pet Peeves" down there on the left of the blog. Today's addition: OPEN TOILET LIDS.
No idea where this one came from, except to say that it's always been a thing in my home to close the toilet lid when done using the toilet. Perhaps it is this habit/rule/edict that helped my neurosis along in regards to this, but I hate the look of a toilet bowl interior. It grosses me out, and I hate walking into a (personal) bathroom, and seeing a toilet wide open. They're just ugly. No. Just no.
Lately, in a fun twist of fate, I swear I can smell it when the toilet lid is open. I can tell, when walking into my bedroom, that the toilet lid in my bathroom is open. I can smell the downstairs toilet when I'm in the laundry room. It smells like water, for sure, but also just musty and old wet. It's really pretty nasty.
Here's the problem: Brian's family is not one that closes toilet lids as a habit, and he's terrible at remembering to close it. But hey wait, if we've been living together for 20 years, why is this still a problem? Well, that's the big question. I could swear that he was closing it for several, several years, and just recently started leaving it open again. But when I mentioned it to him, he's all, "Why is this a thing NOW?" I explain that it's always been a thing for me, but I find it impossible to imagine that I haven't been bugging him about this for years and years.
I'm flummoxed, and it feels weird to bitch at him about this now, but I'm done closing the lids when I walk past a bathroom. No kidding, I could not fall asleep the other night because I knew that he'd left the lid open, and I swore I could smell it. I got up, closed the lid, washed my hands and got back into bed, and then fell asleep peacefully.
So I've been asking him to do it when I catch him having left the lid open. He's the only offender, because Sydney is totally in the habit of closing the lid, because her mother is crazy and thinks toilets are ugly. So it's something I guess I'll have to start bothering him with, or perhaps leaving notes in the bathrooms. At any rate, I have given you all another brief look into my soul of swirling neuroses.

No comments: