Monday, February 3

Christmas stories in February

I think I just wrote a Christmas story about Mystic and Boysen. I mean, I did write it and finish it, but it needs some editing, for sure. And I definitely need to break out the thesaurus.
Whose idea was it anyway to make these stories frickin' rhyming?!?!
There are just too many words in this language, but so many of them just don't have rhyming compatriots that make sense in my story, and that's irrationally irritating to me right now. Still, there is always room for some finagling, some finessing of the words, and I'll get to that tomorrow.
What's my process? Sydney and I actually brainstormed a lot of the plot for this one a couple weeks ago. We bullet-pointed the main ideas and some details. But when it comes to writing it, it's me and my pen and the notebook. I can't really compose these stories on the computer, and it's way more satisfying to cross things out and rewrite them and make random notes and have a physical story on paper when I'm done.
So that's what I've got right now: about five pages of scratched out and legible-to-me writing; a couple almost perfect stanzas on the first try; and many, many underlined words because they need to replaced with something that rhymes better.

No comments: