Monday, March 2

I still wanna go to space

It's that time again! NASA is accepting applications for its astronaut program!
Should I apply this year? I haven't earned any Master's degrees or any kid of medical doctorate; nor have I learned to fly jets; nor have I finished two years of a Ph.D. program. Also, I need reading glasses. And I'm 47 years old, which is older than most all accepted applicants. We won't even get into the physical fitness requirements that I undoubtedly would never meet.
I'm a full 10 years older than I was the last time I entertained this career switch, when I was younger, faster, psychologically more sound, oh yeah, and with the same education level. I'd like to think that this will not dissuade me from fantasizing about my ultimate bucket list activity, but, well, delusion is not a fun thing. Nor is continual disappointment.
So, this is a fun fiction, my bone-deep desire to be an astronaut, but really, I'll just think and dream about it, and maybe write about it. Still, it was super cool to see the application announcement and to read through all the requirements, and to realize that, yet again, I still wasn't qualified. But wouldn't it be so fun? I mean, it could be book research!

No comments: