Wednesday, March 25

Entertain me, else I will leave you

Social Distancing, Day Ten:
Currently watching "Luther," starring Idris Elba. I'm on the fifth episode of the first season, and while I am enjoying it, I also find myself kinda internally complaining about a couple things. (I am removing the Idris eye candy aspect of this show from the equation here.)
First, all the Luther and Zoe emotional baggage has got to go. I am so over it. Yes, shows are more interesting when there's a bit of backstory for the main character, but this whole drama is distracting. Why are the detectives always dealing with terribly painful personal lives?
Also, they like to talk a lot about sexual stuff being the catalyst behind most everything all the bad guys do. Sexual perversion isn't always the reason, they do vary by evils, but it's always a consideration, and they refer to it as "sex stuff," or something of the like, and that sounds weird to my ears.
I don't know what I expected, but since "Sherlock" was more nuanced, the violence and gore of this show was naively surprising to me. I'm still watching it, of course, and will have only one more episode of this season after this one. A lot is riding on the season finale of this show, as to whether I watch any more. I am fickle.

UPDATE: I'm at the end of the fifth episode and I guess I don't have to worry about one of those things up there anymore, do I? Yikes. I didn't see that coming.

No comments: