Tuesday, January 28

Stop chewing gum loudly, you animal

A powerful and all-consuming hatred of mouth noises is called Misophonia.
I've had issues with mouth noises for forever, as noted in my little list of pet peeves down there on the left of the blog. I hate mouth noises; they drive me crazy. (Even when it's the dogs making the mouth noises!) Something else I learned about misophonia is that it is not classified as an auditory or psychiatric condition, so there's that. But I do suffer from it, and come to find out, so does my dear friend Tania.
The conversation started via Marco Polo today because while I was chatting, I inadvertently picked up a potato chip and started eating it, while still recording my Polo. I totally didn't notice until after I'd finished my Polo and listened back to it. Once I'd realized what I'd done, first, I was super grossed out, and then I went against one of the very few rules we have for that thread, which is Do Not Delete Polos, and deleted it and then re-recorded my portion of that conversation.
When I confessed to the group the reason why I deleted the Polo, Tania went on to thank me for that, because she hates mouth noises, too. I agreed with her that mouth noises are the worst. Andrea pointed out that there is a name for our hatred of mouth noises. I did the research (read: Googled it), and discovered "Misophonia."
Now I just need to remember that word, because for my whole life, it's just been "mouth noises."

No comments: