Saturday, May 30

Once again, I'm not going into space

Sydney, Brian and I watched the launch of the SpaceX rocket today, and once again, I was struck by my disappointment in never becoming an astronaut, or even parlaying some aspect of my career into hitching a ride on a space shuttle. I was, once again, heartsick at having missed a launch several years ago after it was scrubbed and we couldn't stay in Florida for the next month until it did finally launch. I was, as ever, awestruck at the amazingness of being able to travel from this ground into the vastness of space, and to see this glowing ball from outside the atmosphere. I was, per usual, holding my breath and staring unblinkingly at the TV, and then watched it on YouTube twice more.
I know that I'll never make it to space, but it's an interesting thing when you realize that your kid is better equipped to achieve your dreams than you are. I mean, look at her, she's got a brilliant mind for math and engineering, and has an uncanny ability to understand the why and how everything fits together. She's quick on her feet, and resourceful, too. She's everything that the astronaut corps would be lucky to have. I don't know if today did anything for her at all, but she's shown no interest in space before, but she did watch the launch with us twice, and by herself once. So, who knows, maybe I'll get to watch my baby fly in space... Wouldn't that just be awesome? ... Well, not as awesome as me doing it, but a close second, for sure.

No comments: