Tuesday, May 12

July 3 can't come soon enough

So we had tickets to see "Hamilton" in L.A. this June. I was very excited about seeing it, as I believe, was Sydney. Mom was going to see it again with us, and Brian was relatively ambivalent, but was attending, as well. Of course, due to recent pandemic events, the show was canceled.
Our back-up plan was that "Hamilton" would be coming to Gammage here in Tempe this 2020-2021 season, and we'd catch it there later in the year or early next year. I was all about the back-up plan.
UNTIL, it was announced this morning that Lin-Manuel Miranda's movie of the "Hamilton" stage musical would be streaming on Disney+ this July 3. I won't lie to you, this perked me right up. Not only the opportunity to see the creator of the show performing in the show, but to catch it on a streaming service that I already subscribe to, is bread, butter and gravy all in one. I am so excited to sit and watch this that day, and probably to watch it a couple times after that, too.
I have remained incredibly spoiler-free about this show. I don't know the music, I don't know the story, and I don't know what the big deal is about it. I am running into it with fresh eyes and ears, and that makes me even more pleased about the state of this entertainment. I mean, realize that I'll be able to watch it without someone sitting around and near me who will sing along, or mouth along with the words, or even move when anticipating an event. For me, this will be like watching it on opening night, when no one in the audience could possibly anticipate what is coming at us. And that is an awesome thing.

No comments: