Thursday, October 4

It's no secret; I prefer shutters

Let me tell you about something that I've been incredibly bad at taking care of in my house. There aren't a lot of things that fall by the wayside in my life, but this particular aspect of living has long been ignored. I am talking about, of course, the vertical blinds in my windows.
We've been pretty brutal to the vertical blinds, and have a collection of broken ones piling up in a hidden corner of the house. When they break on a window, I take intact blinds from the window in the loft and replace them in each individual room. Because of this, the window in the loft is missing about half of its blinds.
A couple assumptions I have made: 1.) Of course, I will be able to wander into Lowe's or Home Depot and buy replacements whenever I want to. 2.) They will have the proper color I want. 3.) They will have as many as I need. 4.) They will be cheap to buy.
Because of these basic assumptions I have made, the actual research of finding replacement blinds has not occurred at all. For five years, we've been breaking and "fixing" the vertical blind situation in my home.
This is on my mind tonight because Elliot broke another blind in my bedroom this afternoon. Interestingly, the break is in the form of a split up through the middle of the blind's bottom. Typically, the blinds are ripped from the holders at the top and the little catch hole is broken. But not this time, little rascal! I'll be able to leave it hanging in the bedroom, but it will have to replaced at the same time as all the others. Whenever I decide that will be!

No comments: