Saturday, October 20

People! Just cooperate, won't you?

I am not a fan of confrontation. I really kind of avoid it with all my power, to the point where even Brian and Sydney rarely get my more aggressive side. I had to assert myself over the last couple days on one of my Marco Polo threads, and it was satisfying, but also nerve-wracking. I'm just not used to challenging people. I certainly have my opinions, and I am not afraid of voicing them, but when forced to argue my point, I always get flustered and awkward. Or at least I always feel like I do.
Because of this particular confrontation, my entire day was an exercise in feeling like I was inexplicably under attack. Like, the line for the prescription pick-up was long. The baker at Safeway acted like my ordering a cake was a very real imposition on her day, especially when we chose a design that was on a cake on the shelf, rather than one in the book. The guy at Einstein's was super rude and very not into conversation regarding cream cheese. My macaroni and cheese plate was incredibly hot, even through the silicone handle. My daughter didn't want to check out the Halloween doughnuts at Krispy Kreme or go to Starbucks. Target didn't have any paper lunch bags.
It was weird how every single stop made me feel like I was on the defensive. Attack! Defend! Attack! Defend! At any rate, my day ended okay, with little to no actual offenses thrown my way, and I didn't have to throw any punches to finish it up. I think tomorrow I might just spend my entire day in and around my house. Better to not interact with the public perhaps.

No comments: