Wednesday, September 5

My trail is not this green

This afternoon, after work, I hit the trail for a hike.
It felt good to get out into nature, and to spend some time on my own, just walking and listening to music. What didn't feel good, of course, was the 105-degree temperature outside, and the blazing Arizona sun on my shoulders and forehead.
I knew when I got out of the car that the trek would be a warm one, and I had prepared by bringing a larger water bottle than usual. I filled it up with water at the office, so the water was cool when I started. I decided to just walk the trail though, since I hadn't been out there for about a year, and not push myself to make any "time," or try to encourage more sweat and cardio than I what I'd get from walking.
So I did it, of course. I had some concerns about the heat on my not-at-all-in-shape body, and entertained emergency scenarios where I'd have to call someone, or best-case situations where I'd just have to sit under a tree for a few minutes. In truth though, I was pretty impressed that I didn't have to stop more than the extra drinking stops I made in the shade of the palo verde trees along the way. I didn't get light headed at all. But don't misunderstand, I was very pleased to see the end of the trail when I came to it.
By the time I got to the car, I just sat in it with the air conditioner blowing on me for about 10 minutes and drank the rest of my hot water which didn't stay cool the entire walk. Next time, the Hydro Flask goes with me.
Conclusion: I did the hike, which was my goal, and I made it without any physical issues, which was my fear. I'm a but sore from the exercise, which is amazing, and I'm feeling kinda excited about going out again Friday, which is perhaps stupid?

No comments: