Tuesday, September 11

A musical, family movie night for the win

We went to the theater tonight and saw an old movie. I love Debbie Reynolds so much, so when "Singin' in the Rain" was available for viewing on the local theater's Tuesday Night Classics night, I was all in. I've never seen the entirety of that movie, and was eager to pop my cherry, so to speak. To my surprise, Sydney and Brian were up for seeing the film with me.
To no one's surprise, the theater was full up of old people. I can count on both hands how many people were younger than me in there, and that's including Brian and Sydney. The row behind us had a group of ladies that had come to the movie together, and who clearly thought that this was a party theater, because they chatted and giggled and ate very sweet-smelling candy throughout the film. Happily, no one sang along to anything. Not even the titular song.
Gene Kelly was an interesting character, though. I didn't know that he had co-directed the movie, but in knowing that during the viewing, I could see where Kelly had plenty of, I'll call them "vanity scenes," where he got to dance way more than the story needed. And he dyed his hair for the movie, too, which isn't a big deal, but to be as old as he was flirting and kissing with a 19-year-old Debbie Reynolds was creepy.
As for Debbie, my all-consuming crush continues. She was so awesome. Such a luminescent face on her, with the fun dancing and singing, and just the coolness of her. I will sit my kid down to watch "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" soon, too. It's my favorite. And now, I must see all the Debbie Reynolds musicals. She's amazing.
And holy cow, Donald O'Connor! He was the best dancer of them all.
The movie, really, was a delight, excepting those longer-than-necessary dance numbers. I'm pretty excited that I saw it for the first time in a theater.

No comments: