Tuesday, November 6

I guess she's not a dancing queen anymore

Well, tonight, it happened. I lost a fight against the opinions of "friends at school."
Sydney and I watched "Mamma Mia" a few months ago, and she loved it. I love that movie, and it was so fun for me that she enjoyed the music and movie as much as I do. We have the soundtrack in the car, and we've been rocking out to it regularly.
So when Fathom Events showed the movie today at a theater to celebrate its 10th anniversary, we were excited to watch it. She'd never seen it on the big screen, and she was looking forward to it. In the theater today though, she wouldn't sing along with me to her favorite songs, and was really ready to leave when it was over. On our walk back to the car she admitted that she and her friends talked about "Mamma Mia" today, and they gave her a hard time because she likes the movie, and made fun of it to the point that she decided that she didn't like the movie that much anymore.
"I'm sorry I don't like the movie as much anymore," she said.
"I'm sorry that you're letting your friends decide what you like or not," I said.
"They're not really my friends, but I know them," she said.
"Well, then I'm really sorry you're letting people you don't even call friends decide what you like or not," I countered.
I won't lie; this is insanely disappointing to me. It makes me super sad that she was so easily swayed by her peers ... in regards to a movie about ABBA songs. To be sentimental, I'll whine about how we enjoyed this movie together, and sang the songs together. And now she's decided that it's not a good movie because of some fucking punks in a middle school cafeteria. I breathe a heavy sigh.

No comments: