Tuesday, November 13

Follow the BLUE brick road

Hey, you guys! Did you see? Arizona voted in its first female senator, and she's a Democrat, too!
Sometimes, kiddos, the vote goes the way that you really want it to. It certainly didn't last time, which is perhaps why it did this time, for some perspective.
But Arizona has been a staunchly Republican state for several years. The last Democrat senator was elected in 1988, and it's been decidedly red since then, for some reason. Anyone know what the tipping point for no more blue senators was? It was way before my time here, so I have no historical knowledge of it.
Also, two House seats were changed to blue in this election, and the balance of power in Arizona is remarkably purple. Odds are it gets bluer in the next couple elections... I'm quite pleased to have been a part of this shift.

I took Sydney to the Tuesday Night Classic movie tonight, and we saw "The Wizard of Oz." She didn't fall asleep or ask to leave, so I consider this evening a win. She told me that she didn't like it as much as she thought she would, but again, she didn't ask to leave early, or even make any comment about the black-and-white part, so I think she may have liked it more than she thinks.
I found myself at a bit of a crossroads though, and I have since talked myself out of it. I briefly considered that maybe since she doesn't really dig the classic movies, I should stop taking her to see them. But then I said to myself, "No, she needs to know these classics, or she'll never understand a ton of pop-culture references, or have any appreciation for entertainment before YouTube and Marvel." And I found that I was really okay with that reasoning. The tickets are only $5, and for that, I can torture her a little bit and teach her something about movies.
I'm a good movie mom, and I'm going to keep being that mom. Tonight, she learned what a Munchkin was, where the yellow brick road leads, and why sometimes, there's no place like home.

No comments: