Monday, November 12

Happy anniversary, worker bee

Today is my three-year anniversary at my job. No one knows it but me, and I only told one of my coworkers. It's been an interesting experience at this particular job stop, working in an environment like never before.
After a year on the job, I was submarined by a coworker, and therefore demoted to doing my current part-time job position.
It was a hit to the ego, for sure, but the demotion ended up being the best thing that had happened in the job. I was back to picking up and dropping off my kid at school at regular times, and I was still able to use my brain, and I had time to myself again.
What's weird is that this is the first job I've had where I have a really hard time keeping track of time. Like, if I didn't have Facebook Memories, I'd be at a loss over how long I've even been working there. I'm not even sure how long I've been part time, but it's been at least a year, but maybe only a year? It's a trip to me that I have no concept of the passage of time at that desk. At all my other jobs, I was always very aware of the passage of time, by way of anniversaries, and remembered everything. Here, I'm all, "I think it was November, wasn't it?" I vaguely remember the demotion happening some time in the cooler months?
One would wonder why I'm still working there. It's a matter of convenience. I like the hours, the location, and some of the people. I'd rather work there part time than anywhere else right now. And no one wants to do the job that I do, so I have relative job security. I do get the itch though, to move on to something else. And then I remember that I only work four hours a day three minutes from my home.

No comments: