Wednesday, May 11

June is a better month anyway

Okay, so then this happened:

Dear STS-134 U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame Launch Ticket Holder:
Thank you for your interest in the launch of STS-134 space shuttle Endeavour. You are receiving this email because you are a current STS-134 U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame launch ticket holder.
 Due to the delay of the launch of STS-134, the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame will not be open for launch viewing. As a current Astronaut Hall of Fame launch ticket holder, you are invited to upgrade your existing Hall of Fame launch viewing tickets to include launch viewing from Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.

The launch is currently scheduled for Monday, May 16, 2011 at 8:56 a.m. ET. Launch time and date subject to change.
HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR TICKETS:
Your U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame launch viewing tickets are available for upgrade beginning now through Sunday, May 15 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets must be upgraded IN PERSON at the Visitor Complex Ticket Plaza (windows 1-4). The ticket windows are open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In order to upgrade your launch viewing tickets, you must turn in your original tickets and present a copy of this email and a photo ID. Once you upgrade to Visitor Complex viewing tickets, a vehicle placard will be provided for entry on launch day.

TICKETS MUST BE UPGRADED IN PERSON BY 3:00 p.m. on MAY 15, 2011.

Let's run through that.
For once, I was uncharacteristically restrained in buying new plane tickets for the rescheduled launch, damn the extra cost or inconveniences. I was practical, and that hardly ever happens. And with this e-mail, I was rewarded for my contrary-to-myself behavior.
The rub is, of course, that my tickets are worth precisely shit right now. The Hall of Fame isn't an option for the launch. You want to see the launch? Upgrade your tickets. We had already upgraded ours to sit atop the Hall of Fame. No worth to that whatsoever.
Then there's the whole "be there in person" to upgrade the tickets. You know, if I had bought the new flight tickets, I would have had us fly in on Sunday for the Monday launch. Now, with this, we still wouldn't have been on time to upgrade the tickets. So, then I would have had to change the flight -- TODAY -- to arrive in Orlando on Saturday instead of Sunday. Another night of hotel. Another day of food expenses.
I think I'll call it official: I was not meant to actually see this launch.
So, who's up for traveling to Florida with me for the Atlantis' launch in June??

No comments: