Tuesday, October 27

"Papillon" the movie, not the dog breed

It's not normal for my movie knowledge to fail me. In fact, I can probably count on a couple for more hands how many times I've been truly stumped by a film. I was proud of that. And then came "Papillon."
I'd never seen the movie, and remember vividly that I didn't want to when it was in theaters. But for whatever reason, it intrigued me enough to sit through (almost) the entirety of it this afternoon. It was playing on one of my movie channels that happened to be on when I stopped watching a show on the DVR.
I don't know what interested me enough to stop, but I did, and I watched the rest of it. According to the info button, I had missed about 20 minutes of the beginning.
But what did I know. I did remember some of the peripheries of the movie. I remembered that Rami Malek was in it. I remembered that it was about a prison on an island, and that bad things happen to the people that were held there. I remembered that it was relatively well received and maybe even an Oscar nomination? I remembered that the story itself was pretty sad and hopeless.
Here's where my knowledge failed me. I did not know that Charlie Hunnam was in it. I did not know that the end, in fact, was uplifting. I didn't know that the story was a super good one, and even based on a true story and a real guy.
And here's the kicker. I didn't realize that even though I only remembered that Rami Malek was in the movie, he was NOT the main character. Charlie Hunnam played the part of Papillon! I was halfway through the movie before anyone called any character by name, and it was then that I discovered that Malek's Dega was a supporting role to Hunnam's Papillon.
Obviously, by missing the first 20 minutes, I missed the basic introductions of the characters. But this whole flip-flop (in my head) of which actor played who made me stop the film for a moment, rearrange the basic outline of the movie (in my head), and then start anew with a brighter perspective, and other plot holes that I thought I'd found now fully closed up.

No comments: