Wednesday, August 22

Nope, it's not that bad

It's weird. I was super scared of my first summer in Houston. I swore that the humidity would be suffocating, and that the heat would be beyond oppressive. People told me that August was the worst month of the summer.
Well, here we are, well into August, and I'm not dying from the effects of the summer. Yesterday, I didn't even have to turn on the supplemental air conditioner. I was able to wear jeans the other day. There is, what can only be called, a cool breeze when I take the dogs out in the morning. It was nice enough that I even was able to keep my windows open for the short drive between the gym and Starbucks this morning. In fact, after 45 minutes in the gym, I could still feel the coolness of the car's air conditioner when I got back in it!
I hate to say it, and with six or eight weeks left of summer I may regret saying it, but, if this is the worst that a Houston summer has to offer, then I don't think it'll be as awful here as we'd been led to believe. This week, the highs are projected to be in the upper 80s. Unless you live in Camarillo, that is pretty much unheard of in the summer. I think my multiple Arizona summers of more than 90 days of hotter-than 110 degrees (and five months hotter than 100 degrees) may have jaded me from summer anywhere else. The summer here is just like Boston, but lasts a bit longer.
Of course, I'm very much looking forward to opening my windows at night to let in some cool breezes. I realize that luxury is still several weeks away, but this summer just isn't as awful as I feared.

No comments: