Tuesday, July 1

Move along; nothing to see here

So, you see a Facebook post from a friend on your feed. This post is liked by a few people, and even agreed to enthusiastically by others in the comment section. The post itself is politically charged. You disagree with it.
What does the typical Facebook person do in this situation? Most, I think, would either read the posts and grimace, or just scroll past it. Some may even remove it from their timeline so they don't have to see it. I've done all those things. I'm betting that you have, as well.
So it takes a special person to look at that particular post, and then type out a dissenting opinion. I'm not saying that if you disagree, you should shut up. I'm saying that, if you disagree, and roll with it on that post, you should be prepared for all the response from the post's previous "likes" and commenters. You may be right, or you may be wrong, but you will probably be shouted down, no matter what. I can't imagine taking on that kind of attention voluntarily.
Facebook is not the place to try to change anyone's mind. In fact, the internet in its entirety is not the place for that; people can hide behind their keyboards too easily and stubbornly. I saw a post today that made me mad, and you know what I did? I scrolled past it, and then even went back and removed it from my feed. I feel like if more people just did that, our evenings would be a lot less exhausting.

No comments: