Sunday, July 29

Listen up, NBC, 'cuz I know

I am officially swearing off Twitter ... during the day ... for the duration of the Olympics. I was so pissed yesterday when no less than four people and/or organizations tweeted the results of the 400 IM race before I had a chance to see it on my primetime coverage last night. So, I knew, going in, that Michael Phelps wouldn't even medal in the race, and that Ryan Lochte had won the gold. And I had to keep quiet about it, because I didn't want to ruin Brian's or Mom's anticipation last night. But still, I was mad! And then, come to find out, that some of NBC's own nightly news shows also said the results before the network's own coverage had commenced! That's just sloppy editing on their part for the broadcast, as well as a disregard for the people that did actually want to watch the Games in primetime.
And don't even get me started on Ryan Seacrest. That guy is a waste of space on the broadcast, as well as a general irritant to me in life. I walked out of the room both times he showed up on screen last night. Seacrest has bugged me from way back when he was an afternoon DJ on STAR 98.7, and I had no satellite radio, and I had to listen to him on my way home from work in Valencia. He was irritating then, and has become more so with his prolific need to be on television. I don't find him funny or informative, and as evidenced by what I inadvertently heard last night and read about this morning, he's not a good broadcast journalist, either.

So, in a nutshell, here's my advice to NBC for the rest of the Summer Games:
FOCUS ON REAL NEWS ON YOUR NEWS SHOWS. Keep the Olympic information for the Olympic coverage. Your broadcast of the results last night before people could even see the contest on your own network is insulting and rude, and worst of all, amateurish.
LESS HUMAN INTEREST AND MORE ACTUAL SPORTS. I think the gurus at NBC are forgetting that the Olympics are about sports, and not all about athletes and their back stories. We watch the Olympics to see the Olympics, not an interview with Michael Phelps' mom and sisters.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS BOB COSTAS. I get that Costas needs a break during the day. But honestly, aside from the actual sports, Costas is the best thing NBC has going for it during the Olympics.
SEND RYAN SEACREST BACK HOME. He bugs me.
STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW. Don't let John McEnroe talk about anything but tennis. His ridiculous reference to Jimmy Connors last night was lame. I like having professionals in the sport talking about that sport, but sending them into an entirely different arena, when they're not practiced broadcast journalists or interviewers, makes them look silly and out of place. Also, they make ridiculous references to their past glory days that no one under the age of 50 will get.
TAKE MY ADVICE AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT. Everyone's going to have their beefs with the coverage. Obviously. But, I don't think any other network could do any better than NBC. They've got all their channels devoted to the Olympics. I like that. And on the whole, I think they're doing a great job. But a couple little fixes would make their coverage stand out as better than ever before. They'll have to make those changes soon though to avoid anymore issues like yesterday. So, like fixing it tonight, would be awesome.

No comments: