Wednesday, January 12

This is Maine, when it's not snowing

I've already taken my NyQuil for the night, so forgive me if I go astray. (Props to whoever gets that random pop culture lyric.) I'm beyond exhausted after the day I've had, and I really can't wait to go to sleep. But something in my internal clock refuses to allow me to hit the pillow until 10 p.m., unless I'm pregnant, so I stay up for just a couple more minutes watching the very end of Sherlock Holmes.
I'll tell you, I think Barack Obama did a fantastic job on his speech tonight, memorializing the recent events in Tucson. He spoke for about 30 minutes, commented on every post-tragedy topic and point of conversation, and managed to discuss aspects of politics without getting political. I like when a president can get the country all pep-rally excited, even in the shadow of a sinister event. And he's such a great speaker. Alas, I do believe that the political discourse in this country ranges somewhere around the level of a flooded toilet, and contrary to everyone's "let's get together" talking points, it'll continue to hang out there. It's sad, because I do think that we need to better ourselves for the cause of our children and the future of the country, but too many people look at events and opportunities for nothing but themselves. So few of our "leaders" are actually looking to a future beyond their next election.

No comments: