Thursday, January 1

On an ice floe, holding a penguin

So, it's January. Do you feel any different?
I was reminded this morning that I'll be a year older this month. And then I wasn't even allowed to sleep in, so that's a good start. (Said with sarcasm)
And here I sit, later on the first day of the new year, watching 2 Guns, and considering my upcoming year. I have a good feeling about 2015, you guys. I have no basis for such a good feeling, but it's there. You know what I do have? Determination. I am determined to not have to deal with some things I dealt with in 2014. I am looking forward to a change in my motivations, and situations. And herein, are my EXPECTATIONs for 2015.
EXPECTATION #1: Publish The Book. I'm just about done with it, and it'll be going live in the next several days. I'm in the midst of the finalities of it, and am eager to see if there's a market for it. There, I told you. That's the big, secret project I've been working on.
EXPECTATION #2: Start on Book Two. What with the finishing of the first one, it'll be time to get started on the second one.
EXPECTATION #3: Cleanse and purge the house. I feel like this is a rehash of last year, but we've been in this house for 18 months now, so I should have a better grip on what we need and don't need. What we need, is more space. What we don't need, is stuff we don't use. Garage sale city, here I come.
EXPECTATION #4: Make Gammage my friend again. Also, take Sydney to her first stage musical. It killed me to not take her to see The Lion King last year. I hated not seeing Kinky Boots. I am done with not going to shows anymore. This needs to change.
EXPECTATION #5: Join the gym, and return to the life of a gym rat. I need indoor cardio, yoga and weight training. I'm bored with how fat and out of shape I feel. I have to lose these extra pounds; to match energy levels with my kid; and it is imperative that I fit into my jeans better.
EXPECTATION #6: I need backyard potting shelves; a living room lamp; a curio for Disney collectibles; a box spring and bed frame for Sydney's room; and a sofa. These pieces are required to finish the puzzle that is my house. Funnily, most of these items can be acquired at Ikea. Maybe one piece a month until the list is done?
EXPECTATION #7: Find Brian a better job. Find me any job. Career-wise, we've been in a relatively unhappy place for a while. Brian needs a better office to work in; I just need any office to work in. It'll be a good thing to make things better on that front.
EXPECTATION #8: Better keep up with my magazines. I've got three issues of Vanity Fair next to my bed right now, and that's a travesty. I just caught up on two months worth of InStyle. I finished three issues of Entertainment Weekly and a couple Real Simples this week. There is no reason in the world why I can't find 30 to 45 minutes a week to take care of these gems (and an hour a month for VF).
EXPECTATION #9: Do better with birthdays. I always tried to get birthday cards out to those I love, but the whole plan would die early in the year. I discovered last year that I enjoyed it when I got actual texts from my friends on my birthday, though. So, actual, personal birthday texts will be my new plan, and I will forsake the Facebook birthday wishes that for some people, just won't do.
EXPECTATION #10: Vacation. We will, as a family, go on vacation somewhere.
As I look at them, I'm actually pretty pleased with what I have planned and hoped for in the next 12 months. Those look like a nice set of EXPECTATIONs. Let's see how we do. Ready? Go!

No comments: