Thursday, February 6

And so they begin ... YAY

Every two years, I spend two weeks being a negligent mother. I'm focused elsewhere. Of course, this has only been a pattern for the last seven years.
Before then, I was just an Olympics junkie, with no responsibilities outside of working and walking my dog in the morning and afternoon. But once I (we actually, because Brian is right there with me) hear that dong-dong-dong music of the Olympic Games, I have no interest in anything outside of what's happening on NBC at that very moment and for the hours following.
The problem, over the last seven years, is the kiddo that is more of a responsibility than any other, and her complete and utter ambivalence for the Games. She had no interest in watching with us tonight, until bedtime (of course) when she used them as an excuse to stay up later. I let this fly, to be sure, because once I've got her hooked in with us, she'll be a much more cooperative Olympics viewer. I'll let her stay up later tomorrow and Saturday night, so that's nice of me.
But on the whole, I'm pretty much a sofa-based mother for the next two weeks. I'll get up periodically to feed her, but she's going to be in charge of most of her hygiene, clothing, and other activities. Any entertainment outside of the Olympics will be entirely up to her. She's welcome to hang out with us, and I'll encourage her to, but if she's looking for anything outside of Sochi, Russia for the next 14 days from Brian and I, she'll be disappointed.

No comments: