Monday, March 11

So filling, so perfect. So bagelicious

My Midnight Snacks have become something of a legend. In my head, all the people on my Facebook feed are eagerly awaiting any announcement I may make on any given night, regarding whatever bit of sustenance I've decided I need right before I go to bed. Most of these announcements include ice cream or cookies. The other night it was nothing but the load of frosting that Mom scraped off her cupcake earlier that day.
My eating habits lately have been such that tonight's Midnight Snack was not a sugary confection, but a blueberry bagel with cream cheese. Sure, there are Fig Newtons, Oreos, cupcakes (!), ice cream pints, almond M&Ms, and caramel-filled Hershey's Kisses in the house, but tonight, I just couldn't get there. We've been eating all those other things regularly throughout the last five days, and in rebellion, my appetite was screaming bagel and cream cheese this evening.
Bagel Facts, Kimmie-style:
* My first blueberry bagel was purchased and eaten in an airport in either Colorado or Utah, before we were heading home from a ski trip.
* Bagels are made to be lightly toasted. This was not always my opinion, but I've grown into it.
* Don't let your flavored bagel touch my blueberry bagel. There is nothing worse that biting into a bagel and tasting the adjacent bagel.
* So many people belittle the Einstein's bagel, but I am a huge fan. Even more now that I've been living right down the street from an Einstein's, and I've discovered their pumpkin bagel.
* Cream cheese should never, ever, ever be flavored.
* I don't like to load up my bagel with cream cheese. It needs just enough to cover it and filter the bagel's coloring, but not enough to make the bagel white as snow.
* My family, as a whole, loves bagels. A dozen bucket doesn't last too long here. Sydney, in fact, will bogart half a bagel if you happen to be toasting one when she decides she's hungry. And poof, half a bagel is gone. I'm glad I waited until she was asleep to toast my bagel; Brian, and his bagel, were not so lucky.

No comments: