Monday, July 9

Respect the man, at least

I love watching the Home Run Derby every year. It's my favorite part of the All-Star weekend, and always has been. The captain for the American League's team competing in the Home Run Derby was New York Yankee player Robinson Cano.
Now, I'm no fan of the Yankees. In fact, as a Red Sox fan, I glory in their failures as much as I do my own team's successes. That's just part of cheering for the Sox. When it comes to individual players though, you know, everyone's good, and they are all still professionals, and most importantly, people.
And like I said, as a whole, I like watching the Yankees lose. But as a person, Cano was there to represent not only his team, but his league and himself. Players don't have to participate in All-Star activities. And this makes the booing of Cano even more of an embarrassment for baseball fans.
Apparently, the fans in Kansas City were annoyed that Cano didn't select a Royals player to the team, and displayed it by booing Cano throughout his turn in the batter's box, and cheering every time he struck an out. I'm sorry, but I found this to be incredibly mean. The "fans" kept this behavior going for the entire Derby. I get that they would do it for a little while, but for the entire event? That's a bit ridiculous, right?
People deserve respect. Baseball players on a baseball field deserve respect. This guy's a professional player who was participating in an optional activity for the enjoyment of the same fans who were booing him. It was embarrassing as a baseball fan, and as a human. Why do people have to be so mean? Damn bullying mob mentality.
By the way, Prince Fielder from the Detroit Tigers won the Derby, and it was awesome.

No comments: