Wednesday, July 18

Damn the mosquitoes!

Sydney got her first mosquito bite today. It's on her right lower leg. She's quite distraught.
"I thought that I would never get a mosquito bite!"
"Well, baby, I wish that was so, but eventually everyone gets their first mosquito bite."
"But it itches and it hurts."
"I've got some medicine to put on it that should make it itch less. And then we'll put a bandage on it."
"If I got bit by a hundred thousand mosquitoes, would it dead me?"
"I imagine that if someone got bit a hundred thousand times, their body would go into shock, and they'd die. But you've only got one bite, so you'll be fine."
"Okay, but my mosquito bite really itches and hurts."
"I'm sure it does."
(p.s. This picture is not Sydney. She is very happy to have a Dora bandage.)
I find myself incredibly pleased that we've been here for so long, and are at least halfway through the summer, and Sydney is just now getting her first mosquito bite. And I wish I could say that this bite doesn't even count because I have no idea where it happened. She first told me about it in the restaurant at lunch, and claims that it happened there. But what the hell was a lone mosquito doing in The Rainforest Cafe in a mall in the middle of the day? That doesn't make sense. Could it have happened in the movie theater? That seems just as unlikely. And we didn't spend any length of time outside. But alas, the bite is there. And she was so somber when she told Brian about it. ("Daddy. There's some bad news. I have my first mosquito bite.")

No comments: