Saturday, June 7

Who knew this day would rock?

In general, it's pretty difficult to get Sydney to try new things. She's a relatively complacent little kid, and would rather hang out doing stuff she already knows she enjoys, or eats what she knows she likes, or watches something she knows she will/does like. Disney movies: easy sell. Tasting ketchup and/or mustard: no thanks. Candy: certainly. Book: um, no. Random adventure: work it. So it's an especially exciting treat for me to get her to do/try something new, and it's even better when she enjoys this thing. Today was the even more rare occurrence: TWO new things, and she liked them both.
#1: MINIATURE GOLF. I've been trying to get the family to do this for a while. I'll never understand why they both finally consented on a day when it is frickin' hot outside. We got there early, which in June doesn't really matter because it was still 90 degrees out. Brian and I have always enjoyed playing mini golf, so I knew this would be a hit once we got going, but it was still too sunny and warm out. Anyway, Sydney picked a purple golf ball, and was a (for her) patient student. It was a rocky start, but after a bit, she did better with her stance, was figuring out the geometry of the holes, and seemed to be enjoying it more. Verdict: fun, and we will be doing it again.
#2: STAR WARS. My 7-year-old daughter has finally seen the first Star Wars movie. And not the first of the prequels. I'm a purist, and I love my Star Wars films, as does Brian, and we decided that if Sydney was going to see them, she would see them in the proper order. And so we sat in our living room this afternoon, as a family, and watched the original first movie.
"Are there any really funny parts?" Uh-oh; this may go badly.
"I remember this from the game!" Yes!
*Humming along with the music.* This may not have been such a good idea.
"I think, every weekend, we should watch the next Star Wars movie until I've seen them all." Success!
Verdict: good stuff, and more to come.

No comments: