Wednesday, December 4

Buddy's back, and still awesome

Our Elf on a Shelf, Buddy, has returned. He arrived some time during the night on Monday, and was welcoming Sydney from the chair downstairs Tuesday morning. As is his custom, Buddy brought Sydney a little present, because he misses her so much throughout the year. This year, he brought her some special Elf on the Shelf Shrinky Dinks, and they are pretty awesome. We colored and baked a first batch Tuesday night, and she colored more tonight for tomorrow's baking session.
I'm really pretty excited with how much she loves them. I remember we tried Shrinky Dinks a few years ago, and she didn't want any part of them. But, you know, as a gift from Buddy, they are that much cooler.
Anyway, with his arrival, so begins the daily fun of discovering where Buddy's hid himself after his return from the North Pole every night. I think finding Buddy is going to be more of a challenge this year, since he has more spaces to hide, and because Sydney complained a lot last year that his hiding places were too easy. Challenge accepted, little girl. Buddy's getting crafty this year.
I know there are a lot of parents out there who hate the Elf idea. They don't like any part of it. I imagine they are just irritated that they didn't come up with the idea (as I am), but who also just don't want to put forth the effort to make a little extra magic for their kid. I don't see the harm in it. Our Buddy doesn't get into any of those elaborate situations you see other elves involved in. He moves from place to place only, and it's charming enough for Sydney.
I look forward to Buddy's return every year, too. I think it's a fun way to keep Sydney entertained and engaged by the magic of Santa Claus.

No comments: