Wednesday, February 6

Such a prize! SINBAD is coming!

I took part in the most delightful scavenger hunt this evening.
It begins with my near obsession for Sinbad the Sailor, a movie starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Maureen O'Hara, that was released in 1947. I've mentioned before in the blog that I love this film (June, 2010), and bemoaned the fact that the movie isn't available on DVD.
Today's hunt began innocently enough. As is my custom when I'm checking my Netflix queue, I wander around a bit on the Watch Instantly portion of the site. I clicked on the "Classics," hoping to see Sinbad. (I do this every couple months or so.)
With nothing on Netflix, I bopped over to my Yahoo! homepage, and keyed in the movie title, hoping for something. I was greeted with a list of mentions, as well as links to images from the movie. In these mentions also was a link to the movie's IMDb page.
I clicked on that page, and found the basic information the web site has on every movie: cast, crew, trivia, production details. At the bottom of the page is the message board. I clicked on it with a shrug, since the post's title was wondering why the movie wasn't on DVD.
The fourth, fifth and sixth comments on that thread mentioned that the movie was playing on Turner Classic Movies just then. Sadly, this was in 2010. Who knows when TCM is really playing that movie, all of three years later, I thought. But still, doesn't hurt to check.
I searched for TCM and clicked on that home page. From there, I did a search for the movie, and found that the site did indeed have some information, as well as some clips and the official movie trailer from 1947. This, I can assure you, was very exciting. I settled into my chair more comfortably, and clicked on the first link. Eureka! The first three minutes of the movie!
Before the second clip started though, TCM showed an advertisement about some Joan Crawford movies they're selling on DVD in the TCM online shop. Check it out, said the advertisement. Well, okay. I checked out the shop's site, for certain, on another hunch.
I did a search in the shop: "Action/Adventure" released "From 1940 to 1950." And holy cripes! Damned if my Sinbad the Sailor movie didn't show up in the listing! And it was only released on DVD in November of last year! WHAT?!?! This movie, that I've been waiting -- literally -- years to have on DVD, is finally available on DVD, and I can have it! I can just order it, and it'll come to me at my house!
I don't think I need to tell you how quickly I hopped up to get my wallet so I could make my purchase. TCM tells me that it'll be here in five to 10 days. This is so awesome!
Best. Scavenger. Hunt. Ever.

No comments: