Thursday, December 6

Do it right, or not at all

Christmas tree lights have a ... way.
There's a right way, and a wrong way. In my head, it's a very specific way.
You see, there is a multi-colored base. I prefer the multiple colors all over. The lights also need to be wrapped around the limbs and branches, in order to have all kinds of light all over the tree. I hate seeing cords, and I hate having spaces in the tree with no lights. So, my base needs to be all-encompassing of the tree.
Over the last few years, this has been added to by Brian, who decided that we should have red bulb lights on the tree as well. These additional lights look pretty awesome, and their awesomeness is because Brian puts them on in his random Brian-ish way.
For whatever reason, Brian decided to rebel against the "way" and require some solid strings of lights instead of an all multi-color base. Uncharacteristically, I allowed myself to be gainsaid by him and a six-year-old. So, we had a few solid color strings on my tree tonight. It was decided by said husband and child that it looked "funky."
Until I was a single string short of finishing, and Brian turned off the house lights to check out the effect. He didn't like the purple string. He didn't like the "too bright" LED strings. He pouted. I, of course, pointed out that this unhappiness is what happens when you mess with the way of the Christmas lights. And then I got super annoyed because the three strings were going to have to be redone, and ... I'm too insane to let anyone else put the lights on the tree.

No comments: