Wednesday, September 14

Mushrooms and mustard

I have developed a taste for mushrooms and mustard.
I'd run with the alliterative there as a fun little turn of phrase, but really, these two things are food items that I've not liked since childhood. At 38, I'm enjoying them, and it's kinda freaking me out.
MUSTARD: I never liked it as a condiment, as a smell, or as a taste at all. I always scraped any of the mustard off my hamburgers, refused it on my hot dogs, and denied it on all sandwiches. Then, one day several years ago, I discovered that a little bit of mustard tastes okay on a bologna sandwich. I have experimented, and find that mustard also tastes good on any number of other sandwiches. That led to a taste of mustard on my hamburgers a year or so ago. And a couple months ago, I ate my first bratwurst properly, with mustard. Tonight, Brian barbecued some bratwursts for dinner, and I ate it, properly, in a hoagie bun and with mustard. It's weird that I'm feeling the desire to try mustard on a regular hot dog. My whole world is tilting.
MUSHROOMS: This one is completely and totally Brian's fault. He likes mushrooms, and he also likes making me taste things that he orders at restaurants. So, it all began with the stuffed mushrooms at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. They're really good. Those were, for the longest time, the only mushrooms I would eat. Then, he grilled some portobello mushrooms and soaked them in olive oil. Yummy. Then, a couple months ago, we ordered the stuffed mushrooms at Oregano's. They were stuffed with sausage and red sauce, and topped with cheese. They need more cheese, but aside from that, they're super yummy. And not long ago, we ordered some sauteed mushrooms -- straight-up sauteed mushrooms -- and I ate a whole bunch of them. And I tried one of Brian's sandwiches at Dilly's, and it had mushrooms in it. The mushroom, I have decided, is no longer my enemy. I'm enjoying them. My world is whirly.
Tomorrow, I think I'll eat some mushrooms with mustard atop them.
Ummm.... maybe not. That just made my insides quiver a little, in a not-good way. But the point is this: I'm eating some things that I haven't liked before now.

No comments: