Saturday, August 23

Use the five senses to describe it

I just finished the first draft of my third assignment for the writing course. It was an interesting project actually. The purpose of this exercise was to work on detail in writing, so the task was to put myself in a childhood environment and detail out everything about it, including the sights, smells, sounds, feel and taste of it. I am actually pretty happy with the place I selected. I chose the playhouse that Daddy built under my bed when I was a kid and we lived in Canoga Park. And the time frame? I picked the day that Mom had the carpets cleaned, and I chose to hang out in my house while they dried. I remember the day pretty well, and I was really surprised with how I remembered the layout of the house and all the stuff I had in it.
Some of my details:
...spiky acidity of the cleaning solution...
...dusty smell of the stuffed toys...
...a pink, paint-chipped, metal kitchen play set, its sink was overrun with red and blue plastic bowls, pretend vegetables and a rose-printed teapot...
Alphabet picture books, animal picture puzzle boxes, and Disney coloring books were stacked...
Covered in vinyl decorated with various circus animals, the [toy] box stood open...
...outside walls of the house were decorated with self-adhesive stickers in the shapes of flowers, grass, trees and a shining sun.
Of course, I did add some poetic embellishments, but on the whole, the piece is pretty close to autobiographical. I realize that I may have issues with describing something well though, and am eager to let this assignment sit for a night and to tackle it again tomorrow during Sydney's nap time. It's my intention to have this one in the mail Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hamster".