Thursday, June 5

It's actually a social media blackout

I am fascinated lately by a daughter who doesn't want to leave the house much. We've had too many at-home days, with little accomplished. This is all fun and games, until we get bored. I am so glad that she's got her first summer camp next week. I'm pretty sure that another week of togetherness and my forced confinement would drive us both batty. So, next Monday, we begin our first summer camp adventure, and we're both super excited about it.

In barely related news, Sydney has been giving me a hard time about the iPhone usage going on. I check it too often; I spend too much time. "I'm right here, and I'm more important that your e-mail." That's an actual quote from my actual child, from last week. This did, of course, give me the kick in the head that she wanted. So tonight (after another pointed comment from the kid), I began a new plan. For two hours, I turned off the phone and set it on the stairs, away from me. It was an ... interesting and enlightening experiment. It was ... freeing.
I think that maybe, from this day forward, I will do myself the favor of leaving the phone on the stairs regularly. (Turning it all the way off stressed me out too much. What if EMERGENCY?) So I've decided that for a specific block of time, say from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., I'll leave the phone on but untouched on the stairs. That way, if someone calls or texts, I can hear it, but the phone will be too far away for me to look at randomly, or pick up when I lose interest in something else. I think this will be a good thing, for me, my apparently neglected child, and the rest of the family.
Am I strong enough to do this? I actually think I am. Brian would probably disagree, but I think it'll be a super good thing. I already did it for a while today, so I can be confident in my ability to meet and exceed the challenge tomorrow.
Check it: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. tomorrow and every day after, only phone activities permitted on the phone.

No comments: