Thursday, April 10

Natural sugar is okay ... like in FRUIT

Check the headline on Yahoo! tonight:
My Family Stopped Eating Sugar for a Year and This is What Happened
... We'd cut out anything with an added sweetener, be it table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave or fruit juice. We also excluded anything made with fake sugar or sugar alcohols. Unless the sweetness was attached to its original source (e.g., a piece of fruit), we didn't eat it. ...
While I applaud this mother for taking her family's health and well-being to task regarding the sugar, I would not be able to do this. Sure, once you get through the first few days, it probably gets easier. And I imagine it becomes a game at some point, finding food to eat that doesn't have all the added sugar.
... Once we started looking we found sugar in the most amazing places: tortillas, sausages, chicken broth, salad dressing, cold cuts, crackers, mayonnaise, bacon, bread, and even baby food. ...
I think I'd be afraid to find out what random stuff, beyond crackers and tortillas, has added sugar. And then all the stuff we know has sugar? Like brownies, cookies, and chocolate candy. That stuff is very important to us. Also, what about holidays? I think there's be a revolt in my house if there was no holiday candy around.
... We get sick less and get well faster. Much to my surprise, after our no-sugar life, we all feel healthier and stronger. ...
Yeah, that sounds great, but are you happy? I doubt it.

No comments: