Saturday, March 22

Pop Culture has bad taste

I have no opinion about Kim Kardashian and Kanye West on the cover of this month's Vogue, except to say that if it was Vanity Fair, I'd be having a fit. I can't stand the Kardashian juggernaut out of principle, and West has never been of interest to me musically, so their "celebrity" always seems a bit forced. Pop Culture shoved these people down our collective throats, and, as happens every once in a while, I hate Pop Culture for it.
The backlash against Vogue is, of course, delicious to me. Because honestly, you can't tell me that there is a very real Vogue audience desire to see these two people on the cover of their magazine. And the rumor that West practically begged Anna Wintour to include them is fantastic.
I agree with most other decent magazine readers in thinking that Kardashians belong on the cover of US Weekly, People and InTouch, not fashion mags or thinking-persons' magazines (I lump Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly, Real Simple, and even Reader's Digest there; you know, magazines with articles more than just pictures). Like I said, if this had been Vanity Fair, I'd be screaming. In fact, I hope VF is taking note of all this, and appreciating that they weren't the magazine to do this.
Because of my reluctance to even include Kardashian and West on my blog, I'm instead featuring the photoshopped image that James Franco released on his Instagram with himself and Seth Rogen in the bride and groom positions. Now, that's a cover that I think all of us could appreciate.

No comments: