Sunday, March 30

No, we didn't have lunch at Pepsi

Very rarely does a comment, or even a letter, in regards to something unsatisfactory ever result in a positive change. Several weeks ago, during a visit to one of our favorite restaurants, Oregano's, Brian and I were dismayed to discover that the restaurant's new to-go cups were suddenly too large to fit in the car's cup holders. The cups also were generic Pepsi cups, which, to be shallow, were not as cool as the restaurant's personalized to-go cups. But my biggest complaint was that they were too wide. Brian and I groused to each other. No big deal.
A couple weeks after that, when Mom and I had lunch there, I had the opportunity to chat with the manager (who had just come by to ask us how our lunch was and to be sure we were happy). I, of course, told him how delicious our lunch was (as usual), but then said, "You know, if I can complain about something random though, I want to talk to you about the new to-go cups." From there, I laid out how they were too big to fit in cup holders, and how, after years and years of never having a complaint about Oregano's, I was now irked by the new cups. The manager, if you can believe it, seemed to have appreciated the completely random feedback. Honestly, I didn't give it another thought after that.
But today, Mom, Brian, Sydney and I ate at Oregano's for lunch. I asked for my tea in a to-go cup, as I do, without thinking of the too-big cup issue. And what do you think was set down in front of me? Nothing but this perfectly awesome Oregano's to-go cup. The exact size as before, and ideal in every way. Now, I won't take total credit for this small, but significant, victory. But I do think I deserve some credit for it. ... And one more thing is right in the world again.

No comments: