Friday, December 28

Movie review: Christmas "Les Miserables"

There is a definite disadvantage when watching a movie of a beloved musical stage production that you have seen several times. It makes for unfortunate comparisons between actors and Broadway singers, and allows for disappointment.
You know that moment in Mamma Mia, when Pierce Brosnan starts to sing, and you think, Oh, that's too bad, but at least he's still pretty? Well, I had better hopes for Russell Crowe, knowing that he's had a musical career as well as his acting one, and that he spent some time preparing for his roll as Javert in Les Miserables. And I suppose he could be granted the opinion that he can hold a tune, and his voice wasn't ... unappealing. But really, Javert needs a deep and gutsy voice, and Russell Crowe just doesn't have it. I hate saying this because he really did fill out the uniform well, and looked the part of an obsessed French military man. But the singing. Oh well. At least he's still pretty.
One could say the same for Hugh Jackman though, too. He had better singing chops, to be sure, but again, not the deep, strong and heavy sound of a Broadway-caliber Jean Veljean. Also, not the physical presence of Veljean, who is supposed to be quite large, hefty and strong. Jackman would have been better served with a more Wolverine physique than how he looked in this movie. But he did well with the acting.
You know who impressed me? Anne Hathaway. She was a fantastic Fantine, and had a much better singing voice than I had thought. But Marius' friend, whose name I can't remember, also lacked for the heavy singing voice I'm used to in this show. Explain to me why they couldn't use a Les Mis stage veteran to play that part who could really sing it well. That would be because we couldn't have any real Broadway singers, as they would show the inconsistencies of the movie stars' voices.
But, like I said, I was at a disadvantage going into the movie theater to see a stage musical I love so much. Mom and I came home and listened to the Broadway recording highlights CD the next day, because that was where the music and voices really reside.
Having said all that, I did very much enjoy the movie, and did cry my eyes out at the end.

No comments: