Wednesday, August 31

Wet carpet smells musty

A couple things.
First of all, Blogger has changed its "interface" with us users, and it's kinda freaking me out. There's a lot less color, and everything just seems a bit ... higher ... that it usually is. There's quite a bit less stuff, and this doesn't bother me a whole lot, except that the text window is situated about three inches higher on the screen than it was yesterday, and it's weirding me out. I feel like I'm looking up at the sky, rather than just higher on my screen. Again, just weird. As I finish up the post, we'll have to see if everything works as it should.
Second, I had a flood in my house today. Yes, a flood. Apparently (well, not really "apparently," as we have definitive proof of it), my toilet cracked, and water leaked out the tank. As water leaked out of the tank, the floater kept falling, and water kept filling the tank. A never-ending circuit that eventually had water flooding my upstairs bathroom, the downstairs bathroom and hallway, and running out the sprinkler heads in my downstairs neighbor's apartment.
Maintenance arrived first (said neighbor called it in, confirming to me that he has nothing to do but hang out at home and listen to what's going on up here. Honestly, Steve, she's a kid, of course she's going to stomp and run around), as Brian and I were out and about, and confirmed that yes, the toilet was cracked, and yes, the flood was coming from my house. I got a call, of course, as all this was going down, and really, my car couldn't get me back home fast enough.
All is well tonight: I've got a fan blowing under the carpet in my bedroom/bathroom (picture to the left); the carpet padding has been removed from both the bedroom carpet upstairs and the hallway carpet downstairs; all the towels are in the wash; and everywhere but my upstairs bathroom is clean again. My carpet upstairs is full of air, so it looks like my room is a bouncey castle.
The carpet should be dry on Friday, when the carpet guys are due to return with new padding and to re-staple the carpet. Maintenance should be here tomorrow to replace my toilet. I do not look forward to cleaning up after all this again tomorrow, and again on Friday, but whatever.
This apartment, I swear, is a Hellmouth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It’s a good thing that you were able to figure out where the leak started. It would be somewhat frustrating to clean the mess if you didn’t. Just think of the disaster it brought to your carpet! You wouldn't want to repeat that again!

Gail Wallace