Wednesday, August 17

Yay dinosaurs!!

I know more about dinosaurs than any regular mom should. That I could wander through a dinosaur museum with my own "dino expert" and have intelligent conversations, and debates, with her in regards to the fossils, displays and characteristics attests to this. I love that we could share the experience together, and I love even more that she had such a great time. Dinosaurs are awesome!
I vaguely remember going to the Natural History Museum in my earlier Pinecrest days. I would hazard a guess as to say it was in the first or second grade. Maybe first, since my first grade teacher was huge into dinosaurs and had dinosaur names in our spelling tests. Mrs. Fischer was a cool, little old lady. Since she was old then, it can come as no surprise to you that she's long dead, but still, a cool little, old dino expert.
Mom's last recollection of the museum is when she was little, and she, Gramps and Grandma, and Auntie Donna went one day. She said that Auntie Donna got totally freaked out by the grizzly bear display, and tears ensued. This, for some reason, gave me a huge giggle. The bigger giggle came when, in the big animal hall, we came across the same grizzly bear display. I can totally see little Auntie Donna being brought to tears by a pretend, glass-enclosed, six-foot-tall, bear.
And then there's my kid, who was more fascinated and giddy than anything by the huge, in-your-face, 17-foot-long, terribly scary dinosaur skeleton.

No comments: