Monday, March 21

One of my life's goals, about to be met!

It's no secret on these pages that, yes, I am obsessed with being an astronaut. In fact, it was totally on my "To Do" list until I realized the amount of difficult mathematics included in such a career. So instead, I am an armchair astronaut. I watch all the launches online, keep track of the missions as they progress, and read all the little articles about everything.
It's a random little obsession, and I have no idea why I share everything about it with you, but that's the fun of it. I have an incredible aspiration that will, most likely, never be realized, and I'm not ashamed to talk about it. Because really, it's not a failure, it's just something I like to fantasize about doing, so it's still, in my head, a possibility. Right? That makes tons of sense, I'm sure.
As an e-mail subscriber to Kennedy Space Center, I am made aware of all launches, news and happenings at the place. And for every launch, the Center sends out an e-mail asking anyone who wants to see a launch to register their e-mail address, and they'll be put in a lottery for the opportunity to buy tickets to it. I, of course, register every time. I enter both my e-mails, and all three of Mom's. (See? Obsession.) When the invitation came along to register for this April's launch, I knew that this was the worst time to see a launch, but also knowing that it's one of the final two or three, I registered. Just my primary e-mail, because really, if it's fate, it's fate.
Last Monday, I received the e-mail telling me that I was selected by their lottery, and I had the chance to buy tickets, at 9 a.m. Florida time on Thursday, March 17. I thought, FANTASTIC!! But we'll see how it goes. Of course, Thursday being St. Patrick's Day, I knew my odds were much better than everyone else's. So, I was up at 5:45 a.m. Arizona time to be online at 6 a.m.
And guess what!! I GOT TICKETS TO SEE THE LAUNCH!!
Brian isn't able to go since it's on a Tuesday night, but Mom, Sydney and I are off to Orlando next month to check it out! The launch is on April 19, at 7:48 p.m. It's a nighttime launch, which will be beautiful. All the travel sites say to allow some time after the scheduled launch just in case of a delay, so we'll be flying out on Monday and coming back on Friday. I hope, hope, hope that no delay runs into Friday or beyond, because then I'll be all sad, but I'm not letting that bug me.
I'M GOING TO SEE A SHUTTLE LAUNCH!! FROM KENNEDY SPACE CENTER!!
AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ths is amazing! I am so excited for you. :)

Andy