Monday, August 9

Their simpler life is probably boring

I do so enjoy the aftereffects of a good cry. (Men probably wouldn't get this at all, I think, but you girls out there must know what I'm talking about.) I've had a pit in my stomach for a couple days, and this afternoon, I was able to purge. Such a lovely feeling sometimes, the emotional purge. It makes everything feel better, even if it really doesn't change the circumstances of the anger/frustration/sadness/melancholy. Since this afternoon, after the purge, I've felt the slightest bit lighter on my feet. No more ick feeling. It's better now.

Also, I read an article about a couple who minimized their life to the point of a 100-per person material item lifestyle. That includes kitchen items, clothing, electronics and sport items. This fascinates me principally because I envy someone who could do this, but also because I know so well that I would never be able to do this. The couple has no car, uses a bicycle, only one pot and one pan in the kitchen, and two pairs of shoes each. I won't admit to 100 pairs of shoes, but I certainly could say that I've got 100 single shoes. My goodness, I have no idea which ones I'd keep if I had to wheedle my shoe closet to even five pair, let alone two. Ridiculous. But the motivation behind this purge of their material things was the desire to get out of debt. They donated, stopped buying and lived life simpler, and were able to get out of $30,000 in debt in three years. Certainly impressive. But once out of debt, how do you not go out and buy at least another pair of shoes, or pants, or a television. The whole thing is beyond my abilities. Like I said, I envy and fear an idea such as this.

No comments: