Saturday, May 29

Not good, in my humble opinion

Okay, I'm going to say it: The book, Heat Wave, "written" by Richard Castle, the main male character in the television show, Castle, was not good. Well, actually, the first 15 pages were not good. I couldn't get any farther into it than that. Having never written a mystery myself, I feel awkward saying that it should have been better written, but really, it should have been better written. Honestly, the first several pages tried to set it up, but they failed miserably in reading at all like how a best-selling author's book would read. If we're supposed to think that Castle's books are as good as James Patterson and Stephen King, they should at least make an attempt to be as good as theirs. This is a hard post to write because I love Nathan Fillion, the actor who plays Castle, so much. But this is about writing, people, and I think that if the "real" Castle read the first few pages of Heat Wave, as written by a high school senior, he would be embarrassed. And because I refuse to punish myself by reading something that is not good, I put Heat Wave down.
Having dodged that bullet, I move on to The Lost City of Z.

No comments: