Friday, October 10

Three down, 47 to go!

Connecticut is the third state in the nation to legalize gay marriage. Yay Connecticut! It amazes me that this is even still an issue. It's actually on the ballot out here in Arizona this year. it is in California, too. I can vote in California, but not here. I am subjected to the anti-marriage ads here, though, so I'll feel free to comment on both state's handling of the issue.
Can I tell you that I get physically upset and irritated every time one of the "Yes on Marriage for a Man and Woman" ads happens across my television screen? It's such an abomination to me that there are people in this country still so hell-bent on restricting another person's rights. It's so not their business who wants to marry whom. It's absurd that these things are brought to a vote, and that a majority of people can say to another group, "No, you can't marry your loved one. I'm only allowed to marry mine."
One of the best things about living in Massachusetts was being a resident of one of the few states that did allow gay marriage. The people were happy; the sky didn't fall because a man could marry a man, and a woman could marry a woman; and the Red Sox still consistently won the World Series. It's a win-win situation.
Sadly, I'm sure that Arizona will vote down the legality of same-sex marriage, since there are so many red-state, Bible-thumping, homosexual-fearing, desert-dwelling crazy yahoos living here. It's a shame. Someday, it'll be legal for anyone to marry anyone. I hope I'm alive to see it.

1 comment:

pocketless 8th grader said...

Of all the homosexuals I know (including the ones in my own family) come from very conservative families. I even know an ex-Mormon that is gay. Not sure what that means, but I love the irony. I am sure my Dad will vote yes on Prop 8, even though his step-daughter (who he helped raise) is gay. I bet he still thinks it is a choice. Which is comical, because that means he failed at making a "straight" child out of her.