Wednesday, August 27

Prom theme: "Hold on to the Night" ... really

[Editor's note: I have no idea what kind of art to use with this post, except my prom picture, and I'm simply not going to put that up on the Internets, so just deal with not having any nifty picture with this tidbit.]

You know how people are always saying that it's a small world? Well, here's the latest proof of that, guaranteed to make you giggle: I dated a guy named Brian in high school. He was a year younger than I, which made him a junior, at the time, and actually, was my date to prom. We liked each other enough, but once I left for college, that was kind of the end of that. It was a very amicable split, if I remember right.
Cut to 16 years later, and Lisa tells me that Brian is an English teacher at our old high school ... where my niece, Ashlee, attends school. Lisa, Ashlee and I discuss this, last year, and giggle about how funny it would be for Ashlee to see him on campus. Yesterday, Ashlee texted me during her first day of senior year, to tell me that Brian is her English teacher! How funnily amazing! She says he's nice and funny, which I remember him being, and he's her fave teacher so far.
Okay ... here's the weird: I was a senior and dating Brian when Ashlee was born. She was about 10 weeks old, I think, when she (and her parents, of course) attended my graduation from high school. And now she's a senior at the same school?! I am old! It's not possible that it's been almost 18 years since all that happened! Yikes!

2 comments:

-T. said...

that's awesome! Your right - the world IS small...and that is weird that as a Sr. her English teacher is your Sr. Prom date!

Anonymous said...

Wooooahh... unbelievable. It's not possible that we are that much older than an 18 year old...is it? I certainly still feel 24ish. Where did the time fly off to? Brian is her teacher...at your school... to funny. I remember when he was your high school squeeze. So cute.