Saturday, August 4

A Yankee and a cheater go into a bar...

Today saw two major milestones reached in baseball history: Alex Rodriguez becoming the youngest player to hit 500 home runs in his career, and Barry Bonds tying Hank Aaron's all-time home run record of 755.
You know that I'm no fan of the Yankees (that's a Red Sox fan thing though). I'm even less of a fan of Rodriguez's (lest we forget the bitch slap and dirty baseball tactics of seasons past). I don't like Bonds either; he's kind of a jerk to people, especially journalists, and I don't think that's cool. Besides, I think he's cheating.
So, who's the bigger player here? Which is the more impressive milestone? Grudgingly, I'll go with A-Rod. This is mainly because, even if he does pull out the shady tactics, it's not straight up cheating, like Bonds and his "alleged" and "unknowing" use of steroids. I view Rodriguez's 500, at this young age (32), as a sign of good things to come. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd rather have a Yankee beat Barry Bonds' record than have it stand in the hands of a cheater.

No comments: