Monday, June 5

And so it begins...

I bought boxes this weekend. I bought a lot of boxes actually, and our little apartment is now a cardboard mine field, strategically littered with tape, scissors, packing paper, and packed and unpacked boxes. As Brian said when I started, we simply don’t have enough room in our little place for all the boxes. We are already inconvenienced. And because of that, property is being disposed of as early as next weekend. The one sofa will be donated, the other sofa will be moved, and that space will then be filled with stacking boxes. The same fate awaits the bookcase in the living room: donation, and its space used for box stacking.
So why start this now? Well, I have about seven weeks until this proposed move, and I need to get started. I like my packing to be done thoroughly, methodically and well. I don’t do broken things when I arrive at a new home. And after moving every two years over the last 10 years, I have turned this process into a science … an art, if you will. I begin with the things I know we won’t use in the next two months, and as the days go by, move from room to room packing and stacking. Do not mock my devotion to this system—it hasn’t failed me once. So starting tonight, I pace myself to two or three boxes a day, unless I get tired, and then it can all wait until the next day.
As the weather was craptastic Saturday and Sunday, packing was a good thing to start on, but we did manage to leave the house for a couple hours yesterday to pick out some new glasses for Brian. His intention, I’m sure, was for me to fall in love with this one pair he saw a couple weeks ago, but alas, I had to deny him that. The green color of them didn’t work too well with his skin coloring. He was looking for a bold statement, he said, and I thought that would be better served with a different, but bold and strong, super cool pair of black frames. Don’t get all, “They’re his glasses, he should choose them,” because really, he may look through them, but I’m the one who looks at them. Anyway, he ordered the ones I prefer, but also the frame he liked better in the black.
[Editor's note: I must apologize if this post isn't as smooth as usual. Blogger killed the first one, and I had to re-create this, as best I could, from memory.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a great plan Babe!

It has been my MO on every move- plus less stress at the end.