Monday, August 12

Tea, crumpets and finger sandwiches

In a bizarre twist of argument, Brian has decided that we must keep the wedding china.
ASIDE: Given the opportunity to register again for my wedding, I would bypass the china; any kitchen appliances except the popcorn popper; the placemats and table linens; and the bar glasses. None of these things have been used much, if at all, in the last 12 years, and I could have used the cash to pay for my honeymoon. END OF ASIDE.
So the plastic bin in my garage that held all the wedding china is now empty, and the china itself is out of the dishwasher, packed into dish covers, and stored in a cabinet in my kitchen. Apparently, I will use the china at some point, when I have a fancy dinner or tea.
I've got service for eight. Eight dinner plates, salad plates, dessert plates, and cups and saucers.
Cups. And. Saucers. What the hell does anyone need cups and saucers for in this century? Still, they look awesomely old school, so they just may get used ... at my next tea.
My mother in-law said to me, about my house, "There is no reason why someone who doesn't cook needs all that storage in a kitchen." She's right. I don't cook, but I've got all the fixin's to, should I want to, and now I have a kitchen that will hold it all. And now, the kitchen also holds my wedding china.
China that has never been used. Never been unwrapped even. It's still pretty, to be sure. And now, it's the subject of a new goal: find a real reason to use the wedding china, and then use it.

No comments: