Monday, November 5

Fight for your right to vote

Tomorrow is Election Day. I've already cast my ballot.
I'm amazed and appalled by the political machinations going on.
Did you know that there are people actually putting out signs that say the election is on Nov. 8?!?!
Did you know that there are people standing outside polling places trying to intimidate and scare people from voting?!?!
Did you know that there are people maliciously directing other people to the wrong location for voting?!?!
Did you know that there are politicians that have actively throttled voting hours and places so that less people are able to vote?!?!
The subterfuge and intimidation that some people are stooping to in order to suppress voter turnout is appalling and frightening. That there are factions of our population that are so misguided in their zealotry that they think their vote is so much more important than another person's, and so much so that they'll actively pursue taking away someone else's right to vote is beyond unconscionable.
Everyone deserves the right to cast a ballot and vote for the person they think will be represent their ideals in office. Everyone should be able to stand in line at their polling place and be free of intimidation and vitriol. People of this country need to be able to vote.
I think early voting is a brilliant idea. Why can't there be an "Election Week," giving everyone in the country plenty of time to vote and have their voice be heard?
Also, I'm embarrassed by the actions of my fellow citizens this election cycle, and I've lost faith in almost every walk of life involved in politics. All I can do is fight for the issues that are important to me.
I want the dudes that want to take away my choices, and my daughter's choices, to go away.
Also, I want people to be free to marry who they want.

No comments: